Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My Lesson Yesterday...

Oh I had a great riding lesson yesterday!

Whitney was so good, just like last week and I had a great time although the inside of my thighs went numb a number of times. Despite the almost-whole-hearted-obedience attitude Whit has though out the lesson, she acts up near the end and after I dismount. She seems to think that you are her personal napkin after a ride. She's got something going on with her vascular vein and her left nostril has been leaking blood constantly. They have her on meds after doing something to it which Mrs.Love thinks might have irritated it even more so it's not getting better. It doesn't seem to bother her, but it does me. My breeches now have numerous light stains all over them from her wiping her muzzle all over me. I can't wait till I get darker ones.

Anyway, so I did mostly two point (standing in the stirrups while you ride) in trot which is not as easy as it sounds. You have to keep your legs in the right spot or if your horse stops, over the neck and head you go! Then you have to keep yourself straight up and your hands on the horses' neck like a jockey or jumper. Not my fave, but oh well.

So then we tried trotting poles (the same poles from a jump except for it's flat on the ground). The last time I tried them, I didn't have enough leg so I was either missing them completely or only going over the end or hitting them at an angle, which I don't want to do. But, this week I did have enough leg and we went straight over it in the middle...most of the time. I was still in two point went we where heading for it once and Whit had lengthened her trot a little too much. We got to it and she, instead of trotting over it, JUMPED over it! Granted, it was a very small jump, but a jump nonetheless.

So after she landed she went into a canter, nice and smooth though she was on the left lead - her stiff, arthritic side, not exactly the most comfortable. I kept my cool and two point which surprised me greatly since I've never jumped before in my life and only cantered once before off the lunge line. I wasn't holding the grab strap, just the reins and a bit of Whit's mane. I did, however, loose my stirrup. Pulling up Whitney and half-halting from the trot, I gave her huge pats and slaps and a treat from my pocket. Mrs.Love was so excited and praised me for not chasing Whit over the pole or hanging onto her mouth. I was so excited!

She jumped a bit later and cantered off once more, but that was not so lovely as the first time around. I practically fell off. But Whit, being the dam of three foals, treated me with patience and slowed and kept her cool as I lost mine.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I can not wait to see you ride! It will be fun, in a close my eyes - pray under my breath the whole time - sort of a way!

Love you - Muver

Kayla said...

WOW! Your lesson sounds exactly like my last lesson! LOL, though there were four other horses in the arena... lol, and I did two point without stirrups, but other than that it was pretty much the same!
Two point is SO hard!! You have to keep your legs perfectly bent, the way Jill my instructor wants, your shoulders back, head up, hands foreward, but not resting on the horse's neck, and keep your keeps down and knees off. And of course, make sure you're paying attention, other wise yes, if they stop... over the head you fly! lol
~Kayla