Monday, March 16, 2009

Gilbert's Big Day...


Today was a big day for ten month old Gilbert. This morning at school he tasted his very first strawberry and didn't finish it (which made me a little sad). Snuggles also was given his first strawberry and didn't finish it either. I think maybe it was a teeny bit too sweet cuz they don't normally finish grapes either.

* * *

The biggie was giving them their first bath! Snuggles went first and really did not enjoy it. There was a ton of screams and laughter while he proceeded to climb out of the plastic bucket we used on the counter. The poor little guy had a pretty traumatic bath. Then it was Gilbys turn which was also interesting and a bit scary. I was nervous as I set him in the half-an-inch-deep water that had a hand towel at the bottom. He moved around a little and sniffed at the sides of the bucket... Then I started to pour little cup fulls of warm water on his poor little bald bucket. (*lol*) We are still looking for neem oil to rub into his skin; pleas let me know if anyone knows where to get it. Anyway, so we got him all wet and then lifted him out and set him on a dry towel and poured a few drops of Selsun Blue onto his back. I began to rub him all over and get the suds worked up. That was when he started to get scared. He soon was being caught on his almost successful way to freedom which would end in a long drop from the kitchen counter to the wood floor - if he got that far. We where scooting from one corner to the next trying to catch him as he scurried along the towel. It was pretty funny.

When he had been almost dried off with a microwaved hand towel, we moved into the living room where he was wrapped up in a big towel and rub carefully while we blew a warm hair dryer on him. Needless to say, he sure didn't like that either. Once he was being fed up with lettuce (his fave treat) we were able to dry him off the rest of the way. He later fell sound asleep in my arms and was obviously having dreams as he jerked from time to time and squeaked. He also woke up after dreaming for at least a half and hour and proceeded to thank me for my efforts by wetting the towel and my leg. That's when his happy big day ended and was put back in the guinea cage.

God Bless!

Hanna Y

1 comment:

Jen said...

I laughed so hard reading this! And I was there laughing when it was actually happening. Who would have thunk I would love guinea pigs so much?

Muver